Burg Altena, Germany
STIFTSMUSEUM ASCHAFFENBURG

The Stiftsmuseum is the oldest of the four City-Museums of Aschaffenburg. The building itself played a prominent role in Aschaffenburg history, as the former convent house of the convent of St. Peter and Alexander, founded about 950 AD. The convent was a dominant factor in the development of Aschaffenburg, until it was secularised in 1803. Since 1861 the building has become the "mother-house" of the City Museums. After extensive works of renovation and restoration from 1986 onward the museum was reopened in 1994. Today here are displayed the archaeological finds from the Bavarian Lower Main Area from the Neanderthal period to recent times. Especially precious are the finds from the Early Medieval (Merowingian) period. Although Aschaffenburg always stayed just outside the Roman Empire, with the river Main as the boarder, most Roman finds of the region are displayed here, for historic reasons. Archaeological finds and art objects of high value are devoted to the Covent St. Peter and Alexander. Traces of the history of the building itself from Romanic to Baroque times are visible while visiting the collections. Medieval and Renaissance sculpture, like two Romanic crosses or a relief with the Christmas story by Tilman Riemenschneider, are highlights in the art sector. In the treasury the oldest existing chessboard of Germany is displayed, a precious piece of art made from jasper, mountain crystal, modelled and painted clay figures and enamelled silver and gold sheets. Religious art, especially from neighbouring monasteries, and old German table paintings are to complete the collections. Here you will find paintings from the school of Lucas Cranach and his successors. Since 1996 here also is displayed the "Aschaffenburg Table", a painting from about 1250 showing Christ as judge accompanied by St. Mary, St. John Baptist, St. Peter and St. Alexander. The high quality painting was produced for the high altar of the neighbouring church of the convent St. Peter and Alexander and reused as a floorboard in the convent house at 1621. There it was found during the restoration works in 1986. Conservation took 10 years, but now it is an absolute highlight of the museum.







copyright © museum.com gmbh. all rights reserved.
copyright policy