MUSEU DE LAMEGO
The Museum of Lamego is housed in the ancient Bishop's palace, rebuilt by D. Manuel de Vasconcelos Pereira between 1750 - 1786.
According to the act which founded it, the Museum core consisted of "several paintings, standing out four paintings of the Portuguese School of the 16th century, the Tapestries of Arras and ancient furniture, belonging all these works to the bishop's palace of that town"; a collection of priestly garments and works of jewerly belonged to the initial core of the museum as well. All these works were kept by the Administrative Commission of the City Council, which delivered them in May 21, 1918, when the Museum was inaugurated.
The Museum collections have been increased with works from other local convents and with the help of donations. It owns section of Portuguese painting from the 16th to the 18th centuries, tapestries, religious artifacts, furniture, ceramics, archeology, as well as four chapels from the extinguished Convent of Chagas. The Panels from the Cathedral of Lamego and the collection of Flemish Tapestries of th 16th century are outstanding.
The Panels belonged to the altar piece ordered to Vasco Fernandes by the bishop D. Joćo de Madureira in 1506. They were in the main chapel for two centuries, until the second half of the 18th century. Then because of rebuilding works carried out in the Cathedral, the Panels were scattered and most of them were lost. Although there were twenty panels originally, only five have survived: "The Animal's Creation", "The Annunciation", "The Visitation", "The Presentation in the Temple" and "The Circuncision".
The Flemish Tapestries are the most important nucleus of tapestries in Portuguese museums. They are magnificent exemplars made in Brussels in the first third of the 16th century. The six Tapestries represent "The Music", "The Temple of Latona", "Lais consulte the Oracle", "Edipus in Corinth", "Edipus in Thebas" and "Edipus and the Queen Jocasta".