Neuschwanstein
AUSTRALIAN ELECTRIC TRANSPORT MUSEUM

The Tramway Museum, St Kilda, is located in the northern outskirts of Adelaide on St Kilda Road, St Kilda. It may be reached off Port Wakefield Road which is the main highway 1 leading north out of Adelaide. The Museum is operated by the Australian Electric Transport Museum (South Australia) Incorporated, a non-profit incorporated volunteer-based society.

The collecting policy is to encompass trams and associated vehicles and equipment which either were used in Adelaide, South Australia, or were built there for use elsewhere. The collection includes 14 restored operational trams, including Adelaide's first electric tram, No 1, and its last car, a prototype streamliner built in 1952. Five trams are usually rostered each operating day, running on a 2 km line from the Museum to St Kilda Beach. Other electric trams and horsetrams may be seen in the Tram Display Hall. Museum entrance fee includes access to the museum and unlimited tram riding on day of entry. A further five trams are held for or are in course of restoration in the museum's comprehensively equipped workshops.

Four trolleybuses and one of the three-door diesel buses which replaced the trams are also on show in the separate Trolleybus Pavilion.

An Interpretive Gallery displays Adelaide's public transport from its earliest days until the end of the conventional street tramway system in 1958. (One line still operates, that from Adelaide to Glenelg, run with 1929-built cars - see .)

The "Bouncing Billy" tea rooms provide light refreshments.

Archives and research facilities are also available by appointment.







copyright © museum.com gmbh. all rights reserved.
copyright policy