THE ROMANIAN LITERATURE MUSEUM
The Museum of Romanian Literature is bounded to the creation in 1950 of Eminescu documentary contentment, at the Writer’s Union, to the occasion of the centenary from the birth of the poet. Starting with documentary contentment, the editor of Eminescu, the academician Dumitru Panaitescu-Perpessicius, in the co-operations with Tudor Arghezi, Serban Cioculescu, Jaque Byck And other, supported by Tudor Arghezi and Victor Eftimiu founded in 1957 a new museum in the Romanian cultural scenery.
Inaugurated at June 1, 1957 in the building from Sos. Kiseleff, 10 (The House Toma Stelian) The Schools of Literature and Writer’s Union, The Museum of Romanian Literature reopened, in 1977, after the earthquake, the permanent exhibition from Bd. Dacia 12, known as Kretulescu Villara House (rearranged in 1995). Besides the exhibition from the museum there are another seven memorial houses named the writers to whom are dedicated: Tudor Arghezi, George and Agatha Bacovia, Ion Minulescu – Claudia Millian, Liviu and Fanny Rebreanu, Gala Galaction, Mihail Sadoveanu (commune Vanatori, Neamt District), Cioranescu (Moroeni City, Dambovita District).
In the museum halls as in the memorial house there are collections of literary manuscripts of old Romanian and foreign books, princeps issues, original photographs, pieces of furniture and memorial objects, painting and sculpture, over 300 000 patrimonial pieces trying to represent an unconventional aspects from its beginning to nowadays.
The literary museologist has got the difficult mission of re-composition from documents and images the writer’s creation laboratory, visualizing the writer word of integrating in a time space the exhibits. In fact The Romanian Literature Museum, is obliged to an interdisciplinary and text effort, of unusual dynamism to the museum’s halls, from its handicap of exposing the object or invisible at a first glance (sight) of paradox or native the intellectual nature of literature. Like this The Museum of Romanian Literature in true has changed much more into a forum of art’s menials than a simple temple of its vestiges. A real turn to the mythic origins of Alexandrian museum, today chairs the institution’s activity, changed in a way a past (modern) cultural center.
Besides the established sections (the archive, the conservation, restoration, research, exhibitions, memorial houses, the Manuscriptum publishing house and brand, here works in The muses from the museum program, a Lecture club, an unconventional studio of theatre and one of Manuscriptum theatre-lecture, a Gallery M.L.R. of plastic and installations art.
After 1989, the museum opened its own bookshop (Orfeu) and a Coffeehouse – a literary terrace that brought together the bohemian and artistic life of the capital. It is possible that tomorrow the book will be a just nostalgic museum object, like today is the manuscripts of the writers. Until then, The Museum of Romanian Literature constituted around his permanent exhibitions, temporary exhibitions and frequent literary events became today a public place characteristic to epoch where the spirit and consumption are mixed in what is called cultural life.