N E W S FROM
Museu de Odontologia Salles Cunha
, Brazil, Rio de Janeiro 20261-050
Museu Notas June 2007
Informative from “SALLES CUNHA” Museum – ABO-RJ
V. XIII N.º 10 ISSN – 1413-6494 JUNE / 2007
ZEFERINO DE OLIVEIRA INSTITUTE
THE FORMER DENTISTRY HOUSE
30 YEARS OF DISABLING
Just a single signature in a Deliberation of the former Health Secretary, Mr. Woodrow Pimentel Pantoja, at the time of Faria Lima state government has finally extinguished with ZEFERINO DE OLIVEIRA STATE INSTITUTE, on a sad day for the dentistry and for the deprived people, exactly on March 24, 1977. The fateful Resolution was of number 75, published on the Official Diary of the 28th of same month.
This institute was considered of a great and social value, born inside the Brazilian Central Association of Dental Surgeons (ACBCD) where the willingness of serving people, mainly the needy childhood, was above all purposes.
The proposal, on 1914, from Prof. Guedes de Melo, on a ACBCD meeting, to create a dental assistance at school, although disapproved by the government at that time, it has turned into the seed for the following Institute foundation, with that same intention, on April 21st, 1925.
For that reason, all efforts were done towards gathering the necessary resources for the building construction on a granted site by the Federal government, through Decree nr. 496/1921, whose authorship belongs to Deputy Costa Rego.
These resources were achieved from several donation campaigns through an authorized subsidy by the City Counsel (Project nr. 230/1922 in an initiative of Mr. Cesário de Melo, the administrative official at the time), from the eve of a night-watch that took place at the entrance of the Commerce Employees Association, during the so-called “campaign for twenty-eight teeth and tax, duties and other city fees exemption”.
ACBCD action was very successful, mainly due to the role of Mr. Frederico Eyer, president of the Initial Commission, on the project conclusion, which its keystone launched on August 18th, 1923, by the wife of the Republic President then, Mr. Arthur Bernardes.
Among several contributions, the most significant one was made by Mr. Zeferino de Oliveira, a portuguese commendatory which has paid great part of the expenses towards the building construction.
The entity directors have decided then to honor the contributors by givind their names to each room and sector of the Institute. Thus, the X-Ray sector has received the name of the doctor Joaquim de Matos, the benefactor of the first X-ray equipment. The recreative place has received the name of Alaor Prata, the mayor who has released the resource given by the city counsel, canceled on the last administration.
There was also the clinic room named Cesário de Melo, the town administrative doctor, responsible for the law which gave the first subsidies to the institute; the clinic room called Costa Rego, responsible for the law which allowed the site surrender, the Library Coelho e Souza, name of a great inciter and group work participant, the Visconde de Saboya room, the creator of the dentistry teaching in Brazil and the Azevedo Sodré room, who was director of the Medical School of the University of Brazil.
On June 1925, the institution has started a new stage, following a proposal of disentailing from its first entity (responsible for its creation and organization), the ACBCD, with the intention of, as an autonomous association, developing its own legal identity, as planned when its statute was approved and published on the Federal Gazette of May 20, 1926.
It was then created the TECHNICAL CONGREGATION OF CHILD DENTAL ASSISTANCE which has, on its third meeting, held on August 26, 1925, elected its first Board of Directors.
On November same year, through a project signed by Felisdóro Gaya, this ASSISTANCE began to be considered of city public use. At the same time, the Dental Hygienist School was created, aiming to prepare attendants for dental offices, child dental clinics and schools, unfortunately closed very soon due to lack of interest.
But on 1984 this school had its utility reassured when the Federal Counsel of Dentistry opened, for the first time, the subscriptions for registration of Hygienists and dental office Attendants.
Besides the already graduated dentists, the institution also admitted to the dentistry students access to the orphanage, with the requirement of theoretical and oral practice exams. To its social objective there was the anxiety towards the development and change of experiences among all members.
On December 1927, Dr. Ernesto de Mello Salles Cunha, who has joined that institution as an academic, presented the dental form model which he has created together with Dr. Felicio Lucas and that was largely used until its reformulation on 1935.
On 1929, Comendador Zeferino de Oliveira, who was a great enthusiast of this important and valuable social institution, passes away. But his ideal has prevailed and the institution has not given up on its first intentions, with the great help of his son MARIO BELO DE OLIVEIRA.
The entity which was then supported by private companies, during the General Assembly of July 4, 1940, has decided to become competence of the federal district city hall, with the direct participation of General Secretary of Culture and Education, due to the installation of the city hall dental center on its headquarters. This resolution was turn effective by the Decree nbr 6820 of October 18, 1940, signed by the federal district mayor, Henrique Dodsworth and the donation deed was registered at the Notary Mozart Lago.
Since its foundation until the transfer to the city hall, there has been subscribed 18.321 children until the age of 12 at the institution, 148.418 appointments were realized, 67.216 fillings occurred and 53.346 extractions were perfomed, which points out a very expressive number for that time.
Everyone who worked there did not received any kind of payment, no matter if this one was professional or administrative support, thus with full respect to the internal institutional regulation.
Dr. Henrique Miguez y Miguez was the last institute director. He was the one who sent to Museu Salles Cunha some documents which show his fight against the institution closing.
The building construction costed 270:866$520.
Ref.: Odontologia em foco – V. I - N. I Ago. 1987
The Jornal MB Notícias, a newspaper published in Matias Barbosa, MG, has distinguished on the session Acontecendo, to Prof. Salles Cunha Birthday Centennial, promoted at ABO-RJ, when Mrs. Maria da Graça Teixeira Fayer was honored with a golden medal and a certificate, as she is a Matias Barbosa cirizen writer and teacher.
The city is also celebrating the Nossa Senhora da Conceição Cathedral Centennial, built with a great sacrifice of the town citizens.
The newspaper explains :
“The centennial of the cathedral is also the celebration of the work of the most important personality of the local history, Canon Joaquim Monteiro.
Due to his dynamic and pushing behaviour, our city had been able to give its first steps towards progress, with the foundation of its first newspaper, the insistent requirements for improvements to the village to Juiz de Fora (a main town in the neighborhood), the school implementation and the Cathedral building.
As published by Olívio de Albuquerque Castro on his book callled Apontamentos para a História de Matias Barbosa (i.e. Matias Barbosa History Notes), since 1895 the cathedral construction was under discussion, as idealized by the physician Dr. Jorge da Cunha, who has first organized a group with this objective, composed by himself, Captain Joaquim Zeferino Pinto Monteiro and Mr. José Cardoso Saraiva. The same land where it is nowadays the cathedral has been donated at that time by Colonel Geraldo Augusto de Miranda Monteiro de Barros, then the owner of Monte Alegre Farm. It was there where the first foundations were laid with the keystone launched in a joyful environment on August 15, 1895.
Canon Joaquim Monteiro has arrived here on February 17, 1906 being welcome in a festive way. Due to his energic and dynamic mood, only four months after his arrival, on June 18, Canon Monteiro restarted teh work for the church construction. He worked day and night and on September 7 of same year he happily celebrated the church roof ridge lifting”.
A bronze plate and a shirt with the sayings referring to Church centennial were offered to Salles Cunha Museum by Father Leonardo José de Souza Pinheiro, the present priest.
Ref.: MB Notícias – v. 17, n. 213, junho 2007 – p. 16-7.
Caxambu Hotel will host the 40th Dental Congress of South Minas Gerais, to take place in Caxambu, MG, from September 18 to 22, sponsored by Tiradentes Dental Academy, Dental Academies Brazilian Federation, Brazilian Surgeons and Oral Implant Specialists College among other entities. In parallel, the Language Academy of Caxambu, the Brazilian Society of Dental Writers and the Alive Poets Socitey of Minas Gerais will promote the 3rd Encounter of Poetry and Art.
At that time, the distinction named “Profa. Lucy Dalva Lopes Mauro”, the cultural merit named “Miguel Reale” and the scientific merit “Moacyr Lofego” will be distributed.
Editorial : Thales Ribeiro de Magalhães F.º
Karin de Mello Weig
Fernanda Marinho de Magalhães
Luciano Marinho de Magalhães
Christiane Brito da Silva
Contribution : Technical Dentistry Dept. – FOUFF
English version : Dayse Botelho de Deus
“Salles Cunha” Museum - ABO-RJ
Rua Barão de Sertório, 75 - Rio Comprido
Rio de Janeiro - RJ - CEP: 20261-050 – Brasil
Tel.: (21) 2504-0002 / Fax: (21) 2504-3859