The fort was established in 1867 to protect
construction workers who were building the
Union Pacific Railroad. The original
blockhouse, guardhouse, and officers'
quarters are located here as well as exhibits
interpreting pioneer and military history.
Famous legends such as "Wild Bill"
Hickock, "Buffalo Bill" Cody, General
Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel
George Armstrong Custer once called this fort home.