Highlights of the transportation collection include:
-1905 Oldsmobile Curved Dash Runabout (restored)
Stan Reynolds' father bought this Oldsmobile in Wetaskiwin in 1910, soon after he had moved to Alberta from Oklahoma.
The Oldsmobile, with it's curved dash reminiscent of horse-drawn sleighs, was practical, easily maintained and inexpensive. All these things helped make it the best selling car in the world from 1901 through 1905.
-1911 Hupp-Yeats Electric Coach (conserved)
This car was purchased for Miss Victoria Jane Wilson of Victoria, British Columbia. She drove it only 652 kms (405 miles), then stored it carefully in a garage next to her mansion and never drove it again.
An aviary for Louis, her pet parrot, was built in front of the garage doors. Miss Wilson passed away in 1949, and her will stipulated that the parrot could not be disturbed. When Stan Reynolds bought the car in 1959, he had to remove a garage wall to get the car out without bothering Louis.
-1912 Harley-Davidson Silent Grey Fellow (conserved)
Silent Grey Fellow hardly seems like a name for a motorcycle. Yet, it was a real selling point to buyers who wanted one, but not the noise that normally went with it. Harley-Davidson put efficient silencers on its motorcycles' exhaust system to reduce noise levels.
Harley-Davidson motorcycles also featured comfortable, shock-absorbing seating, a clutch for easy starting and a two-speed clutch in the rear wheel hub.
-1916 Packard Twin Six Touring Car (original)
One of the first cars with a V12-engine in North America.
-1918 Winton Four Passenger Sport Phaeton (original)
The Winton Company sold its first car in 1898, and for a brief period, was the world's largest producer of gasoline automobiles. By 1906, Winton produced only large expensive six-cylinder cars, and continued with these until 1924.
This particular car was purchased second-hand about 1920 in New York City by Edward Grainger of Hodgeville, Saskatchewan. Its Victoria top over the back seat was considered very stylish in 1918, but was not always practical on the Canadian prairies.
-1923 Stanley Steamer Sedan (restored)
The Stanley brothers, Francis and Freeland, built their first successful steam car in 1897 and went on to build the most famous steam cars in the world.
But by 1923 few people were interested in a steam- powered automobile. Total steamer production for all companies had dropped from a peak of 2,374 in 1909 to 107 in 1924.
The 1923 Stanley Model 740 was Stanley’s final production run. The company went into receivership in 1923 and its assets were sold in 1924.
-1927 LaSalle Convertible Coupe (restored)
In the mid-1920s, General Motors decided it needed a new line if cars priced between its Buick and Cadillac lines. So in March 1927, GM introduced the La Salle Designed by Harley J. Earl; it brought Cadillac quality to a lower-priced car.
The La Salle combined style and speed. In tests on GM's test truck, a slightly modified La Salle maintained an average speed of 153 km/h (95 mph) for 10 hours.
-1929 Model J Duesenberg, Phaeton Royale (restored, one-of-a-kind)
The Duesenberg Model J is one of the greatest automobiles ever built. When E.L. Cord, president of the Auburn Automobile Co. purchased the Duesenberg Motor Co. in 1926, he announced his intension to give the world its finest motorcar. Cord realized that if the Duesenberg superior performance could be harnessed in a car whose refinements and dimensions surpassed all others, the result would be marketable at almost any price. About 470 Model Js were produced between 1929 and 1937.
This Duesenberg was custom-built for Mr. John Eberson, an American designer of opulent movie theatres during the 1920/30s. Eberson reportedly paid $20,000 U.S. for the car.
-1928 "Buddy" Stewart 3/4 Ton Truck (restored)
Manufacturers often gave their lightweight speed trucks special names. Reo had the "Speed Wagon", Federal had the "Scout" and International made the "Red Baby." Stewart joined the pack with the "Buddy", introduced in 1926.
An early owner of this truck was Vitality Foods of Calgary. Later, from 1941 to 1949, Wah Ling Dong used it to make deliveries from his "Fit to Eat" grocery store, also in Calgary.
-1936 Auburn Sedan (restored)
Like many other automobile companies, Auburn did not weather the Depression well. With dismal sales of Auburn V8 and V12-models, Auburn decided to produce a lower-priced 6 cylinder car in 1934. This car didn't sell much better, and by 1936 the company was in serious financial trouble.
Even though Auburns provided comfort and style at a medium price, 1936 was the last year they were produced.
-1940 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pick-Up truck (restored)
This was the thirty-ninth Chevrolet truck produced at General Motors' Regina plant for the 1940 model year. Paul Happatz bought it new from Wetaskiwin Motors, and used it on his Wetaskiwin-area farm for about twelve years.
The Regina assembly plant had a short life. Soon after it opened in 1928, the depression forced its closure. General Motors opened it again for the 1938 model year. The plant manufactured cars and trucks through 1941, when the Second World War caused a shift from civilian to military production.
-1953 Canadian Pontiac Sedan (original)
General Motors began producing Canadian Pontiacs that differed from the American product in 1937. The 1953 Pathfinder Deluxe was one of these distinctly Canadian Pontiacs. It had a Chevrolet chassis, and Pontiac engine and drive train. The combination was a sales success, making Pontiac the third best-selling car in Canada behind Chevrolet and Ford.
This car was used in Blairmore, Alberta.