Alton Museum of History & Art is located in Loomis Hall, on the SIU Dental School campus, and is the oldest building of continued education in the state of Illinois. Founded in 1971, the museum is rich in local history. Exhibits include Elijah P. Lovejoy, The Piasa Bird, The Black Pioneers, Lewis & Clark, Robert Wadlow (Alton's Gentle Giant), Western Military Academy, The Underground Railroad, Civil War and Confederate Prison, Lost Alton,and much more.
Museum membership is: Single-$15; Family-$25; Patron-$100; Life-$1000; and Benefactor-$5000. The museum, a non-profit organization,is wholly funded by membership dues, tour admissions, and donations. The museum receives no city, county, state or federal funding.
The museum has two other facilities. The Historic Koenig House, at 829 E. Fourth Street in Alton. The home was designed by famed architect Lucas Pfeiffenberger, and was built in 1887. The home was occupied by several generations of the original family until it was given to the museum. The home's first floor is furnished as living quarters for a family of the 1900's. Some of the furnishings belonged to the Koenig family.
The Historic Wilhelm House, located just south of the Koenig House, was the home and business of the Wilhelm family, whose pottery is on display at the Illinois State Museum. This home is currently being rehabbed, as the museum saved it from demolition in 1999.
The Alton Museum of History & Art is the only museum in the city of Alton.