Burg Altena, Germany
Museu de Odontologia Salles Cunha

30th years creation Salles Cunha Museum Magazine
30th years creation Salles Cunha Museum Magazine

(05.11.2007 , Brazil, Rio de Janeiro 20261-050 )
Museu Notas Aug 2007


V. XIII N.º 12 ISSN – 1413-6494 AUGUST / 2007


• Amapá – the origin of this name is controversial. In the “tupi” language, the word “Amapá” means “the rain place” – ama (rain) and paba (place). Tradition says however that this name would have been probably originated from the nheengatu, a kind of jesuitic “tupi” dialect meaning “land that ends” or “island”. It may also refer to the tree AMAPÁ (Hancornia amapa), very common at this region. Its sap is used as a fortifier and an appetite incentive.
• Pará – originated from the tupi word “pa’ra” which means “sea”. This name was given by the Indians to the right side of the Amazon river as it converges with the Tocantins river resembles the sea.
• Maranhão – another controversial name. One of the suppositions is of being originated from the nheengatu “Mara-nhã”; another origin may be from tupi “mbarã-nhana” that means “river that flows”. Another possibility would come from the cashew tree, a typical regional tree known as “marañon” in Spanish.
• Piauí – from the tupi “pi’awa” or “pi(ra)’awa” that means big fish (piau) and river (i). So, piabas river or piaus river.
• Ceará – originating from “ciará” or “siará” that means “jandaia” singing. “Jandaia” is a word in tupi meaning a little and noisy parrot..
• Rio Grande do Norte – the state received this name due to the size of the Potengi river (local river).
• Paraíba – origin comes from the union of the words in tupi “pa’ra” and “aiba”, meaning bad for navigation. The name was initially given to the river and then to the state.
• Pernambuco – the name comes from the tupi-guarani “paranambuco” meaning “para’nã” (abundant river) and “puka” (to burst or to perforate) that thus makes “to open a hole in the sea”. Natives used this word to those who managed to open the way through the reef obstacles.
• Alagoas – the meaning comes from several ponds and lakes that bathe the region. For instance, Maceió, the capital, has 17 lakes among 30 within the state as a whole.
• Sergipe – from the tupi “si’ri-i-pe” that means “river full of crabs”.
• Bahia – the name comes from “Baía de Todos os Santos” (or All Saints Bay), the region where a Portuguese naval fleetarrived in November 1st, 1501,the day dedicated to honor All Saints. On 1534, when Brazil was divided into administrative divisions, there was a rule that these lands should be named according to the territory attractions.
• Minas Gerais – the name was given based on the fact that there were several precious stones and brass mines, founded by São Paulo citizen explorers by the end of 18th century. The adjective “gerais” (meaning “in general”) was included due to the different kind of mines and to make the difference between private and public.
• Espirito Santo – the state was originated from a land given to Mr. Vasco Fernandes Coutinho, who arrived at the region on May 23, 1535, a Sunday of the Holy Spirit (or Pentecost, 50 days after Easter); this is the reason why the state received this name.
• Rio de Janeiro – on January 1st, 1502, a Portuguese expedition, directed by Mr. Gaspar Lemos, arrived to where he thought would be the mouth of a great river, naming the place as Rio de Janeiro (River of January), which was in fact the entrance of Guanabara Bay.

Ref.: Galileu, mar, 2003 – ASPI-UFF – V.11, N.14 – Maio 2003.



During a great party, the above mentioned museum opens the doors fully renovated and modernized even though its 70 years of creation.

The Military Police Museum has its origin in the “Guns Room” (Sala D’Armas) established by the Daily Order on February 01st, 1911 by the Commander-in-Chief, Brazilian Army Colonel José da Silva Pessoa, at the second floor of the right side at the Regiment Marshal Caetano de Faria, designed to be a Training Center for Officers and Soldiers for sword handling.

As the institution had already a collection of armaments and objects that decorated some Lisbon castles, brought to Brazil by D. João VI , and a collection of antique guns used at the very beginning of the Military Division of the Police Real Guard, the Guns Room, that held this collection, was transformed by the Daily Order nr. 177, published on July 27, 1937 into a Museum, receiving the name of Museum and Guns Room General José da Silva Pessoa.

Nowadays, the PMERJ Museum is settled at the old address of the Shock Group Commanders,with a historical and cultural collection of almost 3000 objects and documents.

The Museum has as an objective the social inclusion , the PMERJ history estimation as a cultural endowement to all people and the mission of reactivate on the Military Soldier its tradition and identity, keeping the institution historical memory of its almost 200 years of existence.

Several rooms display interesting armament, military uniforms, historical pictures and badges of honour.

This party had the presence of a military musical band who performed the Brazilian National hymn and the beautiful Policeman Song, composed by Cel. Jorge Ismael Ferreira Horsae.

In a brief prayer, the General Commander of PMERJ, Cel. PM Ubiratan de Oliveira Angelo greeted the audience, presented the Museum to them and spoke a few words about its objectives. Among the audience, it could be found Mrs. Magaly Cabral, from the Republic Museum, Cel. Alvaro G. dos Santos, from Military Police Museum of the State of São Paulo, Mrs. Maria do Socorro Lira, from the Conde de Linhares Museum and Mr. Thales Ribeiro de Magalhães, from the Dentistry Museum Salles Cunha, from ABO-RJ.

The Museum chief is Major PM Anatiny Caroprese Toledo and Marcia Martins Olimpio as museologist assistant. The Museum address is Rua Marquês de Pombal, 128, Rio de Janeiro.

Congresso Internacional de Odontologia
do Rio de Janeiro

01 a 04 de setembro de 2007
O maior encontro científico de Odontologia no Brasil
Editorial : Thales Ribeiro de Magalhães F.º
Karin de Mello Weig
Fernanda Marinho de Magalhães
Luciano Marinho de Magalhães
Christiane Brito da Silva
Contribution : Technical Dentistry Dept. – FOUFF
English version : Dayse Botelho de Deus
“Salles Cunha” Museum - ABO-RJ
Rua Barão de Sertório, 75 - Rio Comprido
Rio de Janeiro - RJ - CEP: 20261-050 – Brasil
Tel.: (21) 2504-0002 / Fax: (21) 2504-3859
Internet: www.aborj.org.br
E-mail: museu@aborj.org.br

copyright © museum.com gmbh. all rights reserved.
copyright policy